Our New Fave Protein-Packed Breakfast-To-Go:
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast idea that will stick with your kid and power them through their busy summer mornings? Or something that you can make ahead and eat on the road after an early morning start?
Either way, this cheesy egg breakfast sandwich has you covered. And since you make it yourself, you can customize it however you want!
This is Essie’s newest favorite breakfast; she’s been requesting it almost every morning for the past several months now. And even though it only takes about 5 minutes to make, it’s hearty and satisfying. I like to give her some fruit to start breakfast, while I cook her breakfast sandwich; by the time she’s done with her fruit, the sandwich is ready to eat.
So the next time you’re looking for a new breakfast idea for your kiddos, give this a try.
Easy-Peasy 5-Minute Cheesy Egg Breakfast Sandwich
Prep time: approx. 5 minutes*; total time: approx. 5 minutes
*5 minutes assumes you have a stovetop that heats instantly (ours is gas-flame). If not, you’ll need to allow a little extra time for your cooking surface to heat up.
The basic idea:
For each serving, you’ll need
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (we like to use multigrain or ancient grains sandwich bread)
- 2-3 tsp butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 slices cheese
Step by step:
1. Put a small frying pan on top of the stove. Turn the stovetop onto medium-low* and add 2 tsp butter to the pan, so it can melt.
2. While the butter melts, put your bread into the toaster to toast lightly.
3. Add your egg to the pan and cook sunny-side up for about 2 minutes, until the yolk starts to set. Then flip the egg and remove the pan from the heat.
4. Put the two pieces of toast on a plate. Put a slice of cheese on top of each piece of toast. Top one side with the cooked egg, then put the sandwich together.
5. Add another teaspoon of butter to the pan if needed, return the pan to the heat, and cook 30 seconds on each side, pressing down lightly on the top of the sandwich.
6. Slice in half, if desired, and serve hot. Or cool completely and refrigerate overnight, then take with you for an early-morning breakfast on the go.
Mix it up:
The nice thing about DIYing this sandwich at home is you can customize it however you like:
- Use whatever kind of bread you like, or whatever you have on hand. I’ve used everything from the multigrain sandwich bread my husband loves, to English muffins, to leftover hot dog and hamburger buns. I also suspect it would be delish on buttermilk biscuits.
- Likewise, you can pick your favorite cheese. If you want to save calories, use just one piece of cheese. Or swap out the full slices for shredded cheese.
- This sandwich is even tastier with a few slices of cooked bacon or turkey bacon tossed in as you’re assembling it before its final round in the pan. You could also add a slice or two of thin-sliced deli-style ham, or even a slice of Canadian bacon.
- As you’re assembling it, you can also squeeze in some veggie power by adding a few thin slices of tomato. And/or some arugula or baby spinach.
Do your kids like breakfast sandwiches? Let us know in the comments about their top picks!
If you enjoyed this easy-peasy cheesy egg breakfast sandwich recipe, why not share it with others by pinning this image?